Home News General
Inaugural International Day of the Girl Child - 11 October 2012
11 October 2012
While Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA’s focus is on adult education and training, universal primary education would give young women and men a tremendous headstart in their fight for decent work – which we consider to be a cornerstone of sustainable and meaningful development.
On this inaugural International Day of the Girl Child, Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA supports the call on the Australian Government, world leaders and the international development community to support the development of young women by:
1. Prioritising nine years of quality education for girls, including through the achievement of Millennium Development Goals 2 and 3 by 2015 and within the United Nations Secretary General's new Education First Initiative.
2. Ensuring national education strategies that are inclusive and address the barriers to girls' education.
3. Ensuring sufficient funds for nine years of quality education for all girls and boys globally.
4. Recognising parents, families and communities as the first teachers.
5. Prioritising context-specific, inclusive, culturally appropriate models for learning that serve to reduce inequalities based on gender, disability, HIV status, ethnicity and other factors both within the education system and within wider communities.
Supporting young adults to further their education and training
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA supports young women to obtain further education and training through the following partners:
- Cambodian Women's Development Agency, which enables young people to access intensive training in skills suitable for the emerging office administration sector in Cambodia;
- School for Shan State Nationalities Youth, which equips young Burmese refugees with the education and tools to play an active role in society;
- the Women to Women program, which allows young Palestinian women to further their education and gain employable skills which in turn provides them with the opportunity to support themselves and their families.
Become a Regular Donor
If you would like to make a regular donation and support projects like these, please join the Global Justice Program. Please click here to find out more.
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA
Ph: (02) 9264 9343
Fax: (02) 9261 1118