Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA is the ACTU’s international global justice agency.
- How this Policy applies
This Policy applies to personal information that Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA collects from you:
- via one of our websites;
- via social media;
- via telephone;
- via email;
- via fax;
- in person; and/or
- in writing.
- Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA websites
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA websites collect two types of information. The first type is anonymous information. The web server may make a record of your visit and log the following information for statistical purposes:
- the user’s server address;
- the user’s top level domain name (e.g. .com, .gov, .net, .au, etc.);
- the date and time of the visit to the site;
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded;
- the previous site visited; and
- the type of browser used.
No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities except, in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the internet service provider’s logs.
The second type of information that Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA websites collect is personal information. Personal information is requested in order to provide personalised and enhanced services that are not available to anonymous users.
A cookie is a piece of data stored on the user’s computer tied to information about the user. Cookies may be used on APHEDA websites.
Our websites may contain links to other websites and social media pages including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. We are not responsible for the privacy policies of the entities responsible for those websites and we recommend that you review the privacy policies applicable to any other websites you visit.
- The kinds of personal information Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA may collect
From time to time you may voluntarily supply your personal information to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA. Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA will also record your e-mail address if you send us a message, subscribe to an email newsletter, or complete a form if this information is requested.
When you provide your personal information, it allows us, for example, to contact you about your donation or inform you about Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA campaigns. You may supply personal information to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA by, for example, responding to a survey, taking part in a competition, raffle or event, or signing up to a campaign. Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA only collects personal information that is necessary for Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA to perform its functions and/or activities.
Depending upon the circumstances, you may provide to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA, and Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA may collect, information such as, but not limited to:
- your name and contact details;
- your social media details (e.g. blogs, twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn);
- your gender;
- payment information;
- campaign and fundraising activity;
- communications preferences; and
- your inquiry or complaint details.
Some personal information is considered sensitive information and includes:
- your union membership (if any).
We will only collect sensitive information where we have received your consent to that information being collected, used, disclosed and stored by Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA in accordance with this Policy, and provided that the collection is reasonably necessary for us to pursue one or more of our functions or activities.
Where you provide information to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA in relation to a job application the personal information you provide will only be collected, held, used and disclosed for the purposes of considering your potential employment with Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA. Where you provide the details of referees, you confirm that you have informed the referees that you are providing their contact information to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA and they have consented to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA contacting them and discussing the personal information you have provided in relation to the job application.
We will collect personal information directly from you unless:
- you have consented to APHEDA’s collection of your personal information from third parties; or
- when we are legally required to do so; or
- it is unreasonable or impractical to do so.
If we receive unsolicited personal information about or relating to you and we determine that such information could have been collected in the same manner if we had solicited the information, then we will treat it in the same way as solicited personal information and in accordance with the APPs. Otherwise if we determine that such information could not have been collected in the same manner as solicited personal information, and that information is not contained in a Commonwealth record, we will, if it is lawful and reasonable to do so, destroy the information or de-identify the information.
- The purposes for which personal information is collected, held, used and disclosed
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information including your email address to:
- manage Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA’s relationship with you, including your donations;
- inform you about campaigns;
- conduct surveys and research;
- to subscribe you to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA email newsletters.
- Using your information for direct marketing
You consent to our use and disclosure of your personal information for the purposes of direct marketing which may include providing you with information about events, products or services which may be of interest to you.
If you do not want us to use your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may elect not to receive direct marketing at the time of providing your personal information.
Unsubscribing and opting out
If you no longer wish to receive direct marketing or other communications, you may request at any time to cancel your consent to such communications as follows:
- If subscribing to an email newsletter you may “unsubscribe” at any time from the newsletter mailing list;
- Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA may, from time to time, send you text messages about issues of importance such as events or campaigns or administrative matters. You may “opt out” by texting STOP in reply to a text message from APHEDA;
- You may contact us at any time by mail or email directed to our Privacy Officer.
- Disclosure of your personal information
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA may disclose your personal information, in connection with or to further the purposes outlined above, to:
- government bodies or agencies (if required by law);
- organisations to whom we outsource functions (including information technology providers, print service providers, mail houses, call centres, email service providers);
- otherwise as you have consented; and/or
- otherwise as required by law.
- How Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA holds personal information
Wherever reasonably practicable Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA holds electronic personal information on data servers that are owned and controlled by Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA in Australia. The data servers are password protected and login secured. However, by providing personal information to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA you consent to your information being stored and processed on a data server or data servers (such as cloud services) owned by a third party or third parties that may be located outside of Australia.
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA will take reasonable steps to ensure that any third party providers comply with the APPs, or are subject to a law or scheme that is at least substantially similar to the way in which the APPs protect information.
Wherever reasonably practicable Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA holds physical personal information in access controlled premises.
When Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA no longer requires your personal information for a specific purpose and we are not required to keep it to comply with any laws, we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to destroy your personal information or to ensure that the information is de-identified.
- How you may seek access and/or correction to personal information held by Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA
You have the right to request access to your personal information and request that it be updated or corrected. In most cases you can gain access to your personal information that Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA holds. To request access to, correction of, or updating of any personal information held about you, please write to the Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA Privacy Officer at the following address:
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA
Level 3, 377 Sussex St
General enquiries can be made via telephone by calling the following number:
P: +61 (0)2 9264 9343
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA requires that you provide proof of identity in order to seek access to your personal information. Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA may refuse to provide access if permitted to do so by law or under the APPs. Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA will seek to provide you with access to your personal information within 30 days of receipt of a valid request and may charge you a reasonable fee for doing so.
You can contact Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA to let us know if any of your personal information has changed. Please contact the Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA Privacy Officer in writing to update any personal information. Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA may also take steps to update your personal information by reference to publicly available sources such as telephone directories or electoral rolls.
- How you may complain about a breach of the APPs
To make a complaint about an alleged breach of the APPs please write to or email the Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA Privacy Officer at one of the following addresses:
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA
Level 3, 377 Sussex St
All complaints must be written. Please provide all details about your complaint as well as any supporting documentation to the Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA Privacy Officer.
- How Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA will deal with complaints
The Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA will seek to deal with privacy complaints as follows:
- complaints will be treated seriously;
- complaints will be dealt with promptly;
- complaints will be dealt with confidentially;
- complaints will be investigated by the Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA Privacy Officer; and
- the outcome of an investigation will be provided to the complainant where the complainant has provided proof of identity.
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA will seek to respond within 30 days of receipt of a valid complaint.
- Variations to the Policy
This Policy may be varied from time to time and an updated version will be posted on the Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA’s websites. Please check our websites regularly to ensure that you have the most recent version of the Policy.
Direct Debit Request Service Agreement
1. By signing a direct debit request, you have authorised APHEDA Inc. (APCA User ID 062529) to arrange for the specified funds to be debited from your nominated account on the 15th of each month (except if the due date falls on a non-working day or public holiday, the payment will be processed on the next/previous working day) until you request in writing to stop or alter such debit arrangements.
2. APHEDA Inc will provide you with fourteen (14) days notice if we propose to vary the direct debit service agreement.
3. If you wish to alter, cancel or defer a debit payment, you can phone us on 02 9264 9343, write to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA at Level 3, 377–383 Sussex St, Sydney, NSW 2000, or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least three (3) working days prior to the next debit date.
4. It is your responsibility to ensure sufficient cleared funds are in the nominated account where the payments are to be drawn. If there are insufficient funds in your account to meet a debit payment, you are responsible for any fees and/or interest your financial institution may charge you.
5. The donor should be aware that Direct Debiting through the Bulk Electronic Clearing System (BECS) is not available on all accounts. Account details should be checked against a recent statement from your financial institution. If you are in any doubt, you should check with your ledger financial institution before completing the drawing authority.
6. All information in your direct debit request is confidential and secure. We will make reasonable effort to ensure that our employees who have access to your information will not make any unauthorised use, modification, reproduction or disclosure of that information. Information will only be disclosed to the extent specifically required by law; or for the purposes of this agreement (including disclosing information in connection with any query or claim).