By leaving a gift to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA in your Will, you are making a lasting commitment to people whose rights to development are restricted or denied. You can help ensure the right to social justice, dignity and decent work for all.
A bequest left to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA is an important way you can help our work of building strong labour and social movements around the world. We are better able to plan ahead with the knowledge that some people are likely to support us through a bequest in the future.
Making a bequest in your Will is a chance to express your most closely cherished values and make a lasting commitment to transforming lives long after you are gone.
Your Will is an important document. To ensure that it is legally valid, properly reflects your intentions and is suitable for your circumstances, it should be prepared by a solicitor or a trustee company. You should also have your Will checked and updated every few years or when your circumstances change.
LEAVING A BEQUEST TO UNION AID ABROAD-APHEDA
If, after providing for your family and friends, you wish to leave money or property, no matter how small, to support our work to improve social justice in the developing world, you can be assured we will truly value your gift and use it wisely to further our important work.
Across 14 countries and 45 partner organisations, we are:
- Defending worker’s rights and safety at work. Trade union repression is on the rise across Asia-Pacific in particular. We support labour rights training in organising, collective bargaining, and the role of civil society.
- Supporting refugees and migrant workers. Denial of rights to legal status means exploitative work and increased poverty. We support refugee-led organisations.
- Putting women first. More than 70% of our projects works are focused on women and feminist movement-building.
- Acting for climate justice and just transition. The climate crisis is deepening inequality and injustice. We are working with unions in Asia-Pacific towards renewable energy and just transition.
- Supporting small scale farming households organise for sustainable agriculture. We help people secure the future for their environment whilst enabling them to generate food sources for themselves and for income.
- Asbestos. Not here. Not anywhere. Our flagship campaign is working for the banning of asbestos in four countries – Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia.
WHAT KIND OF BEQUEST?
There are three main types of bequests you could make to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA in your Will. You could give a:
- Pecuniary legacy – a specific sum of money; or a
- Residuary legacy – a specific percentage of the residue of your estate (which means that after your Will has made all necessary provision for relatives and friends, specific percentages of the remaining assets pass to the organisations and/or individuals that you have decided should be your residuary beneficiaries).
- Specific legacy – specific items of property (such as jewellery, shares, art works or real estate).
WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR DONATION?
Your generous bequest will continue to provide secure and valuable support for Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA’s work for many years to come and your foresight will continue to make a difference and benefit future generations. We will use your bequest for our projects in greatest need or for the project you specify in your will.
Union Aid Abroad believes in transparency and accountability. To see where our money goes, we invite you to examine our Annual Report – call 1800 888 674 for a copy – or download it. If you have any further questions about how we will use your legacy, don’t hesitate to contact our Chief Financial Officer, Lois Rahayu, on firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 9264 9343.
SUGGESTED WORDING FOR YOUR WILL
The following suggested wording is provided for the guidance of your solicitor or trustee.
“I give to AUSTRALIAN PEOPLE FOR HEALTH, EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT ABROAD INCORPORATED (ABN 76 425 451 089), an incorporated association established under the Associations Incorporation Act 1984 (NSW) and operating under the name Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA, _______________________________________________________
(Insert description of bequest – see note below)
free of all duties and deductions to be used in its absolute discretion for its general purposes. I direct that the signed receipt of the Executive Officer or Secretary for the time being of Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA shall be a full and sufficient discharge to my executor or trustee.”
Note: Please insert details of the bequest, such as
- $ …….dollars; or
- ….% of the residue of my estate; or
- describe the item(s) of real or personal property you wish to leave to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA.
We would appreciate your letting us know that you have decided to make a bequest to Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA in your Will. All information provided to us will be treated as confidential and in compliance with privacy laws.
Please note that you are under no obligation to provide any such information to us.
WOULD YOU LIKE MORE INFORMATION?
If you would like any information or guidance from us, please contact our Chief Financial Officer, Lois Rahayu, on email@example.com or 02 9264 9343.
Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA is fully accredited with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and is a Registered Charity with the Australian Charities and Not for Profits Commission. Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA is also a member of the Australian Council for International Development (ACFID) and a signatory to the ACFID Code of Conduct.