Solidarity Tour: Defending Workers’ Rights in Duterte’s Philippines
Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA, together with the Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union (AMWU) and Philippines Australia Union Link (PAUL), is hosting a solidarity tour of the Chairperson of the Filipino trade union Kilasung Mayo Uno (KMU), Mr Elmer Bong Labog, and the KMU International Officer Ms Meryl Quero-Asa.
Elmer and Meryl will share stories of how Filipino unionists are organising to defend workers’ rights in the Philippines, where the Duterte regime is imposing a brutal crack-down on trade union members, officials, and leaders.
Since the rise to power of President Duterte, over forty-three union members and officials have been killed by extrajudicial violence. This has led to the Philippines being listed as one of the bottom-ten worst ten countries for workers’ rights.
But unions in the Philippines are fighting back. The KMU represents over 115,000 union members across most industries, and it is joining forces with other union federations in the Philippines, including SENTRO, to campaign against the Duterte government’s attacks on union members.
Join Elmer and Meryl for a discussion on how Australian unionists can stand in solidarity with their Filipino brothers and sisters. By calling on the Australian government to suspend its military relations with Duterte, we can help place international pressure on the regime.
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to hear from the front-lines of the global fight against authoritarianism!
- Perth: 17th February, 17:30 – Level 6 ‘Walkington’ Meeting Room, Civil Service Association (CSA) Building, 445 Hay Street, Perth. Register your attendance here!
- Melbourne: The fight against growing trade union repression in the Asia-Pacific: Spotlight on the Philippines and Cambodia.
20th February, 18:00-19:30, Victorian Trades Hall, Meeting Room 1. Register your attendance here!
– Mr Elmer Bong Labog – Chairperson, Kilusang Mayo Uno, The Philippines.
– Mr Thy Yann – General Secretary, Building and Woodworkers Trade Union Confederation, Cambodia.
– Mr Andrew Dettmer – National President, Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union.
- Canberra: Tuesday 25th February, 17:30 – King O’Malleys. Register your attendance here!
- Sydney: Defending Workers’ Rights in Duterte’s Philippines
27th February, 17:30, Trades Hall, Training Room 1. Register your attendance here!
– Mr Elmer Bong Labog – Chairperson, Kilusang Mayo Uno, The Philippines
– Ms Meryl Quero-Asa