Australian unionists raise more than $100,000 for Coronavirus Solidarity Fund!
Thanks to the contributions of hundreds of unionists and internationalists around Australia, together we have raised more than $100,000 for COVID-19 resilience projects around the globe!
The Coronavirus Solidarity Fund is already supporting vulnerable communities as they mobilise to confront the COVID-19 health and economic crisis.
More than 300 individual donors contributed to the Coronavirus Solidarity Fund, and thanks to the commitment of one generous donor to match your donations, we doubled our target! This huge response was bolstered by union donations, including the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation, the NSW Nurses and Midwives Association, and the Queensland Nurses and Midwives Union.
Above: In Vietnam, we worked with our partner organisations to support women factory workers produce 25,000 face-masks for vulnerable people.
Here’s how your solidarity is making an impact!
- In Vietnam, your solidarity has supported women garment workers to produce medical-grade face-masks for 25,000 poor and vulnerable people, including 4,000 school-children and 1,000 people living with disabilities.
- In Lebanon, the Coronavirus Solidarity Fund has supported the Palestinian Women’s Humanitarian Organization (PWHO) to protect Palestinian refugees by distributing sanitation kits and by raising awareness of COVID-19 risks.
- In Thailand, our partner organisation, MAP Radio, has broadcast life-saving information on sanitation, social-distancing, and healthcare to communities of migrant workers in their own languages.
- In Indonesia, your contributions have supported union organisers as they distribute protective equipment to informal workers, distribute sanitation in low-income neighbourhoods, and raising awareness of the dangers of COVID-19 to workers exposed to asbestos.
- In the Philippines, your donations have supported our partner organisation, the Positive Action Foundation of the Philippines (PAFPI), to maintain its life-saving support services to people living with HIV/AIDS.
As the crisis continues to unfold across the globe, we will continue to work with our global network of partner organisations to protect vulnerable communities from the Coronavirus and defend their rights. Because we know that it is during times of crisis that our solidarity is most powerful.
For your efforts, your contributions, and your solidarity, we say thank you!