Five Actions You Can Take to Help Win a Just Transition!
Not only is the transition to a clean-energy economy a major opportunity to create new jobs, but it also presents workers with a new opportunity to build sustainable industries, reinvigorate quality public services, secure stronger rights for working people, unionise new industries, and form cooperative workplaces.
Here’s a list of five actions you can take to help win a just transition!
Stay up to date with bulletins from Trade Unions for Energy Democracy!
Stay tuned to the progress in the fight for energy democracy across the globe by signing up to receive bulletins from Trade Unions for Energy Democracy (TUED).
Trade Unions for Energy Democracy (TUED) is a global network of unions that work to advance democratic direction and control of energy in a way that promotes solutions to the climate crisis, energy poverty, the degradation of both land and people, and responds to the attacks on workers’ rights and protections.
Support projects for climate action by joining Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA!
Across the Global South, Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA works with unions and social movements to support their campaigns for climate justice.
• In the Philippines, we are working with unions to expand their campaigns for energy democracy by piloting a renewable energy cooperative on Masbate Island.
• In Vietnam, we are supporting unions respond to major changes in the electricity sector over the coming decade. Vietnamese unions are preparing to respond to large scale privatisation of power, air pollution from increased coal use, and poor job quality in the privately-owned renewable energy sector.
• In Nepal, we are working with the union movement to investigate how the growing hydroelectric sector can create good unions jobs and provide affordable energy to communities, many of whom still do not have access to electricity.
• In South Africa, we support small-scale farmers who are organising to confront the climate crisis through food sovereignty, land rights for farmers, and struggles for access to water and resources.
• And by building the collective strength and sustainable practices of small-scale farmers in Timor Leste, we are supporting their resilience against increasingly severe droughts and flooding rains.
By becoming a member of Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA, your monthly contribution will support projects like these across the Global South, and you will receive news in your inbox about how these campaigns are progressing.
In Timor Leste, Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA supports farmers building their resilience to climate change by developing sustainable agricultural techniques.
Join a local climate action initiative!
Increasingly, Australian unions and unionists are prioritising climate action. There are more and more ways to get involved. Here are just some of those initiatives from across the country::
- In Sydney, Workers for Climate Action is a group of workers and unionists organising in workplaces and unions to mobilise for action to stop climate change. Workers for Climate Action has a monthly bulletin on climate organising, and a Facebook page where you can stay tuned on events and organising meetings.
- The Victorian Trades Hall publishes a regular Just Transition Bulletin which includes practical updates on how you can help support the campaign for a just transition. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the bulletin.
- In Western Australia, you can check out Climate Justice Union.
- Environment and sustainability conferences are held annually by most nurse and teachers union state branches – contact your nurse/teacher union for more information.
Switch your home to Co-Operative Power!
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA is proud to be a founding member of Cooperative Power, a newly formed cooperative organisation for Australia’s energy sector. This model takes the power back from huge energy corporations, for the benefit of people and our planet. Switch your home to Cooperative Power today for the best union and community-owned energy!
Every Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA member that makes the switch will generate a $40 dollar donation to our energy democracy projects across the region!
Learn more about what a just transition means for workers around the world!
Ensuring a just transition is a key priority of the international union movement. The International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) was instrumental in including it as a core tenant in the Paris Climate Change Agreement. The ITUC Just Transition Centre shares lessons from unions across the world about the struggle for climate justice. Visit the Just Transition Centre here!